- The Bold Product options app can be found on the Shopify App Store, and installation is the same as other apps. Once integrated with your Shopify store, you'll be redirected to the app's dashboard.
The first step is to update the theme to add the app's code. The app will suggest you duplicate your store's theme first to be safe in case something goes wrong, and we recommend you do the same, so in case this app is not something that you need, you can uninstall the app and revert to the previous version.
(If you are installing and uninstalling a lot of apps, we recommend you try to rewind, it will allow you to revert your theme to the specific time when everything worked properly - or, you know, make a duplicate of your theme before installing any app on your store.)
- Once you duplicate your theme, you can click on the begin automatic update button. The window will pop up where you need to choose the theme you want to update, and we are ready for the new step.
The dashboard is simple, and you will find your way around it easily. Creating custom fields with bold product options is really easy, and it consists of 2 steps:
- Choose your products
- Give them some options.
- From the first page, click on Create/edit options; you will be redirected to the options tab, and from here, just click on the only option available - Create Option Set. Give a name to your option set; it is only for your reference so that you can refer to it later.
Now you need to choose which products you want to add customization. Just click on select products, and a new window will pop up. Here you should choose if you want to add customization to products or dynamic lists. You can go with products, but if you want to add it to the whole store or specific collection - dynamic lists can be a huge time saver.
You can choose one or more products in this new window, you can filter it by collection, vendor, product type, but there is also a search field here. Once you select all the products you want, just click on Save selection.
The next step is to configure custom fields. Here you have two options, you can create a new option or choose from existing ones, but since you just installed this app and you don't have existing fields, the only option is to create a new option.
The process is again straightforward. The first field is Name. That name is going to be visible, and you should make it representative. In the next step, you can choose from a bunch of custom fields, including:
- Dropdown menus
- Radio buttons
- Color swatches
- Image / file uploads
- Text boxes (single and multi-line)
- Image swatches
- As you can see, there are really a huge variety of fields, choose file upload. If you click on show advanced options, you will be able to add help text - a line of text that is explaining the field in detail.
Click on Save option set, and your custom option is created.
Now return to your Shopify store to see how it looks. You should find the product and try to customize it even further.
Back to the app dashboard, click on display settings. In this section, you can configure how you'd like the options to be presented to your customers. Saving the display settings will create a bold-options.css asset, which will be automatically included in the theme.liquid.
- Here you can also change colors, font size, padding, border, spacing; basically, you can make it fit your brand.
Product Options by Bold allows you to add conditional logic, which will enable you to show or hide options based on a previous selection made in an option set; you can also make adjustable prices and enable customers to edit options in the cart.