Use Facebook to Boost Sales: Messenger Channel Shopify App Tutorial and Review
The Messenger Channel by Shopify app allows Shopify merchants to connect with their customers from the Facebook Messenger app.
Facebook remains the most popular social media platform globally, with 2.6billion active users monthly (2020 first-quarter report). This number means that 25% of people globally use Facebook to connect with their family, friends and even their favorite businesses and brands. With this many users, Facebook Messenger is an excellent platform for eCommerce store owners to connect with their customers.
This built-in messaging platform reduces software and labor cost by allowing you to carry on conversations with customers through chatbots, enhancing customer experience and brand loyalty. You can enjoy all this and more through the Messenger Channel by Shopify app, and this app review tells you just how to do that.
What is Messenger Channel by Shopify App?
With the Messenger Channel by Shopify app, merchants can now make sales and offer customer support, all from the Facebook Messenger app. Customers can now browse through your product catalogue and even proceed to checkout without leaving the messenger app.
Shopify merchants can also send customers automatic status updates on their order in the Messenger. And whenever they have any questions, they can always have a real-time conversation with you using Messenger.
- Customers can browse products and make purchases from Messenger chat
- Automated order updates to customers
- Customizable messages, buttons, and menu item titles
- Real-time conversations with customers to provide support
- Track Facebook sales using sales channel overview and Analytics pages
The Messenger Channel by Shopify app has a 2.4star rating on Shopify and 84 reviews, and while many of them are positive, the rest of them include complaints about the auto-reply feature.
- Run Sales Easily: Disco Shopify App Review and Quick Tutorial
- Create Customer Surveys for Your Shopify Store Using Enquire Labs: Honest App Review and Tutorial
- Create Email and SMS Push Notifications: Firepush Shopify App Review and Tutorial
- Reduce Shopify Cart Abandonment Rates: Abandonment Protector App Review and Tutorial
- Live Shopping For Shopify: Baaz Shopify App Review and Tutorial
- Increase Customer Trust: Free Trust Badge Master App Review and Quick Tutorial
- Use Gift Cards for Your Loyalty Program: Rise.ai Shopify App Review and Tutorial
- Personalize Your Shopify Homepage: DataCue App Review and Tutorial
- Shopify Facebook Messenger Marketing: ShopMessage App Review and Tutorial
- Create Shopify Wishlists: Wishlist Plus App Review and Tutorial
- Best Shopify Web Push Notifications App? Push Monkey App Review and Tutorial
- Shopify Currency Converter: Best Currency Converter App Review and Tutorial
- Print On Demand Dropshipping Products: Printful Shopify App Review and Tutorial
- Customize Your Shopify Notification Emails: Spently Email Marketing Shopify App Review and Tutorial
- Upsell on Shopify: Simile |Similar Upsell Shopify App Review and Tutorial
- Build A Customer Loyalty Program: LoyaltyLion App Review and Tutorial
- Sumo: Boost Conversion & Sales App Review and Tutorial
- Improve Your Social Proof: ProveSource Social Proof Shopify App Review and Tutorial
- Improve Your Shopify Store’s SEO: Smart SEO Shopify App Review and Tutorial
- Improve Facebook Marketing Using Recart FB Messenger Marketing app
- Create Custom Product Options Using App: Bold Product Options for Shopify Review
- Smart Push Marketing Shopify App Review and Quick Tutorial
- Create Custom Metafields: Metafields Custom Field Master Shopify App Review and Tutorial
- Customize Your Announcement Bar: Quick Announcement Bar Shopify App Review and Tutorial
- 40+ Sales Booster Apps In 1: VITALS Shopify App Review and Tutorial
- Auto-schedule Social Media Posts: Facebook Instagram AutoPostr App Review and Tutorial
- Facebook Messenger Marketing Shopify App Review and Tutorial
- Add A Trust Badge to Your Shopify Store: Free Trust Badge App Review and Tutorial
- Build Your Own Contact Form: POWR Form Builder App Review and Tutorial
- Create Native Shopping App For Your Shopify Using Plobal: App Review and Tutorial
- Automatically Backup Your Shopify Store: Rewind Backups Shopify App Review and Tutorial
- Order Status Tracker Shopify App Review and Tutorial
- Collect Product Reviews on Shopify: Okendo App Review and Tutorial
- Increase Conversion Using Quick View: Shopify App Review and Tutorial
- Create A FOMO Using Conversion Plus: Shopify App Review and Tutorial
- Upsell Products to Customers Using Upsell Recommendations: Shopify App Review and Tutorial
- Use Facebook to Boost Sales: Messenger Channel Shopify App Tutorial and Review
- Optimize Your Feed for Google: Google Shopping Feed Shopify App Review and Tutorial
- Sales Pop Master ‑ Countdown App Review and Tutorial
- Shopify Mega Menu App: Buddha Mega Menu Shopify App Review and Tutorial
- Create Offers Using Ultimate Special Offers: App Review and Tutorial
- Best Email Marketing App for Shopify? Seguno App Review and Tutorial
- The Best Free Live Chat App for Shopify: Tawk.to Review and Tutorial
- Create A Loyalty Program on Shopify Using Yotpo: App Review and Quick Tutorial
- Simplify Dropshipping Using Dropified - App Review and Tutorial
- The Best Email Marketing App On Shopify? Privy ‑ Pop-Ups, Email, & SMS App Review
- Shopify Image SEO: Bulk Image Edit App Review and Tutorial
- WhatsApp Chat Shopify App - Boost Customer Experience: Review and Quick Tutorial
- Customize Shopify Pages Using Shogun Landing Page Builder App: Review and Tutorial
- PushOwl Web Push Notifications For Shopify - App Review and Tutorial
Messenger Channel by Shopify App Tutorial
- Once the Messenger Channel app by Shopify is added to your store, you'll be moved to the account window. You should connect your Facebook page on this window so click on connect our account and a new window popup. Log in to your account, choose the page you want to connect to, give necessary permissions, and link your store with a Facebook page. Back on the account tab, choose the page from the drop-down menu, click on connect, and it is all done.
Moving on to the dashboard, you might find it a bit tricky. There is no dashboard, just two pages, one for an account and one for customization. Once the account is done, you can jump to the customization.
In the customization window, the first stop is a message us button; enable it. Once you enable a message us button, you will be able to choose from 4 different button styles. When you look at it, four styles are not that much, but your customers should know that this is Facebook messenger chat and using some other icon will make them confused, and you don't want that.
Most of the websites place their live chat in the bottom right, and customers are used to searching for help there, so you can go on to choose the bottom right. But in case you don't want it there, because you have another chat app in that corner or some other reason, you can choose from placing it in the bottom left, top right and top left.
- In this first step, you can choose from three different icon sizes. You can choose from small, medium and large, click on the save and this part is done. This app definitely offers limited customization, not only in terms of button style, but there is no option for custom positioning, sizes, and the chat button text has to remain the same.
This is a limitation; for example, if you're selling in France, you would want your buttons to be in the French language too. If you are not selling in the native English speaking countries, you are stuck with only two designs, these two without text.
- The following section is Customer order updates. Customer order updates are basically a button on your order status page that lets customers sign up for order updates in Messenger. Your store's Facebook Page automatically sends updates, and customers can message your Page once they've received the first update. Click on the button there to enable it, and there are no additional customizations so that you can jump to the messenger menu.
The Messenger menu is the in-app menu that lets customers browse your products and learn about your store. Pre-maid menu items are Shop now; visit the website and learn more, which will tell customers more about your company. In case you want to edit or add another item, just click on the edit menu button. Moving on to Shop now, here you can change the menu item title, message, and also button text. And that is it from the shop now menu item.
To continue, visit the website menu item; you can try to rename this field. Check out your new collection, and add a link to your collection. This way, you are not stuck with these three items, but you can add the button to your collection, dedicated sales page, blog post or whatever you choose.
Save this menu and go back to the customizations tab. Messenger sends auto messages when people browse products and get order updates. For order updates, there are 4 templates.
- Order confirmation
- Shipping confirmation
- Out of delivery and
Click on order confirmation and customize it a little. On the right, you would find the message preview, and on the left, you can change the content of your automated messages.
The last step in the customization tab is shopping automated messages; you have 5 templates:
- Welcome message
- Product options
- No products available
On the Welcome message, click on it and again similar design; now it's time to try out the app. Reload your shop, and you should find a Message us button below, select the icon, and you should be redirected to the messenger app. Also, check out your sales menu item.
As usual, we'll advise you to run a speed test on your store before and after installing the Messenger Channel app for Shopify. You can use our free test tool testmystorespeed.com.
Our speed test on our demo shop revealed that before the app was added, the total page size was 326KB, and now it is 331; this app added 3 additional requests. The Messenger Channel app for Shopify loads really fast on mobile. Like with almost every other made by the Shopify app, you can reach customer support via email or on the Shopify help center, where you can contact support via email, phone or chat.
This app won't leave any code residual to your theme after uninstalling. To uninstall the Messenger Channel app, move to Settings > Sales channels, where you can then press the trash can icon next to Messenger. This will remove it from your store and the chat icon from the storefront. Our final conclusion is that the app works, and it is pretty basic in terms of customization. But you get a lot of useful functions for free, like automated messages and product recommendations. Shipping notifications add value to your store in case you are not already offering it. And having in mind that Facebook messenger has an 80% open rate, this is the app you should definitely consider installing on your store.