The Best Free Live Chat App for Shopify: Tawk.to Review and Tutorial
Many customers, especially new ones, tend to bounce quickly from a website if they have no help at all. Sometimes, customers might have questions they need immediate answers to and even require help doing specific things on an eCommerce store, which is why the Live Chat feature is vital.
As a Shopify merchant looking to save some money while creating an exciting shopping experience for your customers, your next worry might be where to find a Live Chat app that offers you this feature at almost no cost at all.
The Tawk.to Live Chat Shopify App is 100% free targeted at increasing your effectiveness in managing your customer engagement experience. It does this by allowing multiple websites and agents to chat with site visitors using a single dashboard interface.
Unconvinced if the Tawk.to Live Chat Shopify App is right for your store, then this app review should answer any questions you might have.
- No limits at all on the number of Agents, Chat Volumes or sites that you can add widgets to.
- 24/7 customer support
- Mobile and desktop optimized
Despite being a newcomer to Shopify Live Chat, the Tawk.to Live Chat Shopify App has a 4.5-star rating and 215 reviews, most of which are positive, applauding its very detailed chat system and seamless integration.
- Run Sales Easily: Disco Shopify App Review and Quick Tutorial
- Create Customer Surveys for Your Shopify Store Using Enquire Labs: Honest App Review and Tutorial
- Create Email and SMS Push Notifications: Firepush Shopify App Review and Tutorial
- Reduce Shopify Cart Abandonment Rates: Abandonment Protector App Review and Tutorial
- Live Shopping For Shopify: Baaz Shopify App Review and Tutorial
- Increase Customer Trust: Free Trust Badge Master App Review and Quick Tutorial
- Use Gift Cards for Your Loyalty Program: Rise.ai Shopify App Review and Tutorial
- Personalize Your Shopify Homepage: DataCue App Review and Tutorial
- Shopify Facebook Messenger Marketing: ShopMessage App Review and Tutorial
- Create Shopify Wishlists: Wishlist Plus App Review and Tutorial
- Best Shopify Web Push Notifications App? Push Monkey App Review and Tutorial
- Shopify Currency Converter: Best Currency Converter App Review and Tutorial
- Print On Demand Dropshipping Products: Printful Shopify App Review and Tutorial
- Customize Your Shopify Notification Emails: Spently Email Marketing Shopify App Review and Tutorial
- Upsell on Shopify: Simile |Similar Upsell Shopify App Review and Tutorial
- Build A Customer Loyalty Program: LoyaltyLion App Review and Tutorial
- Sumo: Boost Conversion & Sales App Review and Tutorial
- Improve Your Social Proof: ProveSource Social Proof Shopify App Review and Tutorial
- Improve Your Shopify Store’s SEO: Smart SEO Shopify App Review and Tutorial
- Improve Facebook Marketing Using Recart FB Messenger Marketing app
- Create Custom Product Options Using App: Bold Product Options for Shopify Review
- Smart Push Marketing Shopify App Review and Quick Tutorial
- Create Custom Metafields: Metafields Custom Field Master Shopify App Review and Tutorial
- Customize Your Announcement Bar: Quick Announcement Bar Shopify App Review and Tutorial
- 40+ Sales Booster Apps In 1: VITALS Shopify App Review and Tutorial
- Auto-schedule Social Media Posts: Facebook Instagram AutoPostr App Review and Tutorial
- Facebook Messenger Marketing Shopify App Review and Tutorial
- Add A Trust Badge to Your Shopify Store: Free Trust Badge App Review and Tutorial
- Build Your Own Contact Form: POWR Form Builder App Review and Tutorial
- Create Native Shopping App For Your Shopify Using Plobal: App Review and Tutorial
- Automatically Backup Your Shopify Store: Rewind Backups Shopify App Review and Tutorial
- Order Status Tracker Shopify App Review and Tutorial
- Collect Product Reviews on Shopify: Okendo App Review and Tutorial
- Increase Conversion Using Quick View: Shopify App Review and Tutorial
- Create A FOMO Using Conversion Plus: Shopify App Review and Tutorial
- Upsell Products to Customers Using Upsell Recommendations: Shopify App Review and Tutorial
- Use Facebook to Boost Sales: Messenger Channel Shopify App Tutorial and Review
- Optimize Your Feed for Google: Google Shopping Feed Shopify App Review and Tutorial
- Sales Pop Master ‑ Countdown App Review and Tutorial
- Shopify Mega Menu App: Buddha Mega Menu Shopify App Review and Tutorial
- Create Offers Using Ultimate Special Offers: App Review and Tutorial
- Best Email Marketing App for Shopify? Seguno App Review and Tutorial
- The Best Free Live Chat App for Shopify: Tawk.to Review and Tutorial
- Create A Loyalty Program on Shopify Using Yotpo: App Review and Quick Tutorial
- Simplify Dropshipping Using Dropified - App Review and Tutorial
- The Best Email Marketing App On Shopify? Privy ‑ Pop-Ups, Email, & SMS App Review
- Shopify Image SEO: Bulk Image Edit App Review and Tutorial
- WhatsApp Chat Shopify App - Boost Customer Experience: Review and Quick Tutorial
- Customize Shopify Pages Using Shogun Landing Page Builder App: Review and Tutorial
- PushOwl Web Push Notifications For Shopify - App Review and Tutorial
Tawk.to Live Chat Shopify App Quick Tutorial
- Once the Tawk.to Live Chat Shopify App is installed, the next step is to create a tawk.to account, filling in your name, email and password, then clicking on signup for free. Once this is completed, the start guide should open.
The first step is language selection. The Tawk.to Live Chat Shopify App has 20 languages available for you to choose from, after which you can move on to property details. Here you should enter the store name and site URL. The next one is team members, where you should add more agents to the service.
The final step on the onboarding is placing the code. It happens in very much the same way as with other live chat apps. You can choose to place their code manually on each page of your shop, or you can choose to do it automatically by selecting Shopify from this dropdown list.
A new window should appear for adding your live chat widget. Choose your store from the dropdown list, and a new field should appear. Here you should choose the widget type, click on use selected widget and now proceed to the dashboard.
- On the app dashboard, first, you will get 9 introductory app tips which are very useful. There are nicely organized analytics on the first page, just the basic ones you would check a few times a day. And on the left, there’s a sidebar with the list of items. You can browse through:
- Active chats
In the bottom left corner, you can find a knowledge base with plenty of useful articles.
- To customize your live chat widget first, click on Admin, which should take you to the settings page from the sidebar menu. The first item on the list is Property settings. Since you already pasted the widget code to your page in the start guide, you can proceed to widget settings. The first step is to change the widget name. In case you want to turn off your widget, all you need to do is toggle the button from on to off. The next step is to choose how you want your widget to behave on your site; two options are available for the Shopify store, Maximize or popout window.
For the notification settings, you can choose to include or exclude a number of options.
Hide estimated wait time
Disable sound notification
Disable message preview
Disable agent typing notification
Disable visitor typing notification
Disable browser tab notification
Also, in this tab, you can play with visibility and feature settings. Click on Save, and you can proceed to our next step.
There is no need to go back to the previous page; just choose what you want to edit from the dropdown list. The next step is widget appearance.
- To use the desktop widget, you can choose from two different styles; go with this simple icon. In this first section, you can also choose the position and size of your desktop widget. Also, there is a gallery button, click on the gallery, and you can pick from its icons, or you can even upload your own icon. Click on upload, choose your own design. In this tab, you can also play with the colors of each element of your chat widget. Click on Save, and you can jump to the widget content tab.
In this tab, you can customize how your chat widget will look like when you are online, away and offline. Using the pre-chat form, you can collect a significant amount of emails; elements you can include in your pre-chat form are:
a phone number
question with input text
question with text area
Choose the needed elements and preview, then click on save. In the dropdown menu, you can customize the consent form, availability restriction, and scheduler.
Going back to App Admin, you can try out elements such as:
- Property Members
- Ban list
- Mail Notifications
- Agent Alerts
- Knowledge Base
- Data & Privacy
In the add-on tab, you can remove tawk.to branding, hire live chat agents for 1$ per hour, and buy a video-voice-screen sharing function for this app which will cost you $29 a month.
Reload your store and test out your new changes,
The first thing about chats that you immediately notice is that they are treated a lot like calls. The notification sound for a new chat is literally the sound of a ringing phone. And it will keep on ringing until someone picks up the ‘call.’ Agents can either choose to message the customer directly or send a whisper that will be visible to other agents only, which allows for several agents to participate in the same chat and coordinate in a way that is not visible for the customer.
Tawk.to is a great place to start for small companies that want to give the live chat a try. It offers a decent set of features for a free app and won’t try to limit you at every step of the way by capping your chats or the number of people using the app at the same time.
However, when it comes to using chats for sales or customer service full time, we think using an app without any SLAs or 24/7 support is simply too risky. When you use live chat for sales, it’s not that hard to justify the cost of using a paid app. Even a couple of chats ending with a sale can cover the cost of running your chat for months. And when you get a guarantee that the chat will be up or that someone will help you when something happens, it’s hard to argue against going for a paid live chat app.